After the recommendations of the CCSBT Scientific Committee in 2011, further reviews of the Southern Bluefin Tuna stock have been very positive. For example, a scientific Report using DNA technology has concluded that the Southern Bluefin Tuna breeding stock is three times larger than the level used by scientists to increase the quota. This report will be used in the setting of the quota for 2015-2017.
￼￼Again, now the Southern Bluefin Tuna fishery is sustainable, Australian industry is being very cautious about further quota increases after 2014, even when they are recommended by the scientists.
More Facts About Southern Bluefin Tuna Sustainability
- Commission for the Conservation of Southern Bluefin Tuna
- Management of Southern Bluefin Tuna in Australia
- Ranching Sustainability under the SA Aquaculture Act
- SBT Are Often Confused With Other Tuna Species
- Strict Monitoring of Individual Tuna
- Tuna Breeding Stock Larger Than Quota Baseline